See and hear from the many people who are contributing or have contributed to the Trust over 60 years.
National Trust (Vic) – 60th Year Anniversary
The National Trust of Victoria is celebrating 60 years as an organisation dedicated to heritage, advocacy and the enjoyment of our built, cultural and natural landscapes. Join our celebrations with a series of programs and events throughout 2016.
If you have a story to tell about your involvement with the National Trust now or in the past please contribute to our 60 Year Stories section.
The People's Ground
The Australia ICOMOS and National Trusts of Australia joint national conference, The People’s Ground, was held in Melbourne from 4 to 8 October 2016.
The National Trust is planning an exhibition that will bring its stories and properties to life using new Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality Technology in May.
Join in the celebration by discovering 60 objects of interest from our Collection of 35,000 artefacts. These objects represent the way the Trust’s Collection connects people and places through stories. We hope you find these objects intriguing.
60th Year Stories
We are collecting stories about the people who helped create and who currently make up the Trust and reflect the story of the Trust over the last 60 years. Go to the bottom of this page.
Call to action section
1956 Inaugural meeting of the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) is attended by 300 people
1956 On 23 May the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) are formally incorporated as a company
1956 We move into Como and also open it to the public on the weekend of July 4 and 5 - over 5,000 people visited and police were called to control the traffic
1960 Our first guide to classified buildings goes on sale for 1 shilling
1963 A preservation rally, held for Rippon Lea on the Western Lawn, attracts 10,000 people
1966 We make our final payment on Como
1970 The Old Melbourne Gaol, Melbourne’s oldest gaol, is vested in our care
1974 We acquire Rippon Lea Estate in Elsternwick and Barwon Park in Winchelsea
1977 The Polly Woodside opens to the public, attracting 7,000 visits over 3 days
1980 Portable iron Abercrombie House is relocated from Arden Street North Melbourne
1981 Our Significant Tree Register is launched
1985 We formally acquire Mulberry Hill, where Picnic at Hanging Rock was written, through the generous bequest of Sir Daryl and Lady Joan Lindsay
1990 The save the W-Class tram preservation campaign is launched
1995 We win the Royal Australian Institute of Architects Award for Restoration of Mills Cottage, Port Fairy
1996 The Old Melbourne Gaol wins the Cultural Tourism category of the Victorian Tourism Awards
2001 A gardener at Como unearths buried jars of preserved fruit, probably put there between 1878 and 1920
2002 Glenfern established as a Writer's Centre
2006 Rippon Lea House and Garden is included in the National Heritage List
Sir Rupert Hamer
Rupert Hamer, Premier 1972-81, enabled legislated heritage protection from 1974 through the Historic Buildings Council. A keen advocate for the arts, heritage ad environment, Hamer sponsored innovative legislation in these fields, whilst entrusting the Trust with key properties including Tasma Terrace and Gulf Station.
Baroness Maie Casey
Known to many as a prominent artist, writer, public speaker, aviatrix, and wife of a Governor-General, Maie Casey was a formidable personality. Dubbed ‘napoleonic’ by her friend Lady Drysdale, it should come as no surprise that when she turned her attention to the matter of Australian heritage, she was instrumental in the push for a National Trust in Victoria.
Early Melbourne Architecture
Maie Casey’s 1953 book "Early Melbourne Architecture" was reprinted 5 times. Compiled and edited with Joan Lindsay, the publication was a key component of the push for Victorians to recognize the importance of their historic buildings.
Our Stories - 60 years of activism, volunteerism and hard work