Seeking high performers driven by giving back to the community
Thank you for considering a career with The National Trust of Australia (Victoria). The National Trust is built on the power of the community.
We believe in inclusiveness, diversity and equality and are committed to ensuring that our workplaces are a reflection of that.
We encourage talented people from all backgrounds, abilities and identities to apply to our vacancies.
Listed below are current permanent, fixed-term and casual vacancies. Please click on the vacancy for full details and instructions on how to apply.
- Skipton location (Western district)
- Fixed term (12 months) – Part Time / 2 days per week
- Newly created role
- Hourly rate $41.00
About the role:
The National Trust is seeking a Conservation Officer to oversee the management of our nature reserve at the historic property of Mooramong. We are seeking candidates who will lead the revegetation program, are prepared to undertake a variety of responsibilities and provide grounds maintenance services to a high standard. This role has been externally funded as part of the Helen McPherson Smith Trust grant.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Manage and care for the Mackinnon Nature Reserve (approx. 243 ha.)
- Assist with the planning and development of the reserve
- Action areas for restoration work and lead volunteers in the restoration program
- Report on the current status of the reserve to the manager and committee
- Contribute to ongoing grant applications
- Develop conservation management plans and report on conservation issues
- Conduct vegetation surveys
- Coordinate and assist in recruiting volunteers for the Nature Reserve program
- Maintain plants and equipment in good working order
- Undertake general grounds maintenance duties, ensuring the expected standard of work is maintained at all times
- Mowing, edging, snipping, weeding, mulching, planting, pruning, sweeping, litter collection, cleaning and/or any other gardening, property or turf related tasks associated with nature reserve maintenance
- Ensure the safe operation and transportation of vehicle, plants and/or equipment, including performing routine checks
- Irrigation setup and monitoring
The successful applicant will have bush regeneration and supervision experience and be willing and capable of physical work each day. They will be required to apply best practice bush regeneration techniques and have good interpersonal and communication skills to effectively communicate with their team, clients, and project manager. The Conservation Officer must be able to manage contracts from start to finish, following the project scope and meet progress milestones. They will submit daily reports and maintain regular contact with the project manager.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A passion for heritage and conservation
- Experience and knowledge/skills in conservation, land management, ecology or similar (essential)
- Experience writing scientific and/or technical reports
- Excellent organisational and coordination skills
- Ability to follow processes and solve problems
- Ability to work under pressure and are comfortable working alone
- Excellent time management skills and can make decisions quickly
- A co-operative approach to teamwork
- Recognition and respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and heritage, and a willingness to actively contribute to reconciliation
- Experience in Work Health and Safety protocols (desirable)
- A current Victorian Driver’s License (essential)
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience acquitting grants
- Experience working in heritage
- Knowledge of the Burra Charter
Sound like you?
To submit your application, addressing the above criteria, in PDF format, in strict confidence, please email email@example.com. Applications will close once a suitable candidate is found.
Thank you for considering helping the National Trust of Australia (Victoria). The National Trust is built on the power of the community.
Any offer of employment at the National Trust of Australia (Vic) will be subject to a satisfactory Police Records Check and Working with Children check.
We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. We promote diversity and practice equity. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are encouraged to apply.