The original home of Victoria's first Lt. Governor, Charles Joseph La Trobe from 1839 to 1854.
Although described by a visitor in 1852 as “small but elegantly furnished and standing in spacious grounds,” La Trobe’s Cottage is now a vital part of Victoria’s history. The cottage was made from prefabricated materials brought from England to be the home of La Trobe, his wife Sophie and their children.
Melbourne’s oldest surviving building, the restored cottage replicates the original prefabricated structure and contains items belonging to La Trobe and other artifacts from the earliest time of Victoria’s settlement.
The La Trobe society have more information about Governor La Trobe.