Get an insight into life during the Gold Rush era when you visit one of the few remaining pre-fabricated iron buildings in the world.
The three houses in South Melbourne are among the last nineteenth century prefabricated iron buildings. With gold discovered in Victoria in 1851 accommodation was needed for the many migrants flocking to the colony. Iron houses met that need.
Ordered from a catalogue, the buildings offered ranged from modest cottages to theatres and even churches which could hold over 700 people. Constructed in Britain, the houses were dismantled, every component labelled then packed into crates and shipped abroad to be reassembled in their new location.
Specialist labour was not required and anyone could assemble them by following the instructions. As people had been living in Canvas Town – a small village of tents, paying five shillings per tent per week – being able to move into a two or even six roomed house was a luxury at the time.
By 1855 South Melbourne comprised nearly 100 portable buildings, of which Patterson House is on its original site. Abercrombie House and Bellhouse were relocated to the current sites from North Melbourne and Fitzroy.
Please note due to maintenance Portable Iron Houses will be closed until further notice.