One of the stained glass sidelights at Labassa has recently been restored after undergoing an intricate repair and restoration process. Although we cannot exactly date the leadlight glass, we know from the glass types used throughout the installation that it is likely to be around the 1890s.
The National Trust are custodians of a diverse range of properties with shared heritage values spanning natural, Indigenous and historical significance. Our aim is to provide leadership in heritage to the community and industry by displaying best practice in the conservation, activation and management of these cherished sites.
Related content section
Como House & Garden is included on the Victorian Heritage Register H0205. The National Trust of Australia (Victoria) is currently undertaking the first stage of works to restore the historic buildings at Como. This first stage of work will involve urgent exterior conservation works to the Mansion, Kitchen/Servants Wing and Laundry/Coach House and is funded by a DELWP Living Heritage Grant.
Captain John Mills Cottage is a timber cottage in Port Fairy, constructed in stages between c1841 and 1856 and bluestone stables constructed in 1858. The property is of State significance as one of the oldest surviving timber structures in Victoria, for its sequence of development and for demonstrating a range of early building techniques and materials.
The Barwon Park Shearing Shed is a timber-framed and clad building, constructed in circa 1920 and dates from the Batson era after the earlier 1870s bluestone Wool Shed was subdivided from the property. In 2017 the building was identified as being at risk from loss due to the condition of the roof, which was allowing water into the building and causing deterioration of the interior floor and features.
In 2019 the National Trust was awarded a DELWP Living Heritage Grant to undertake conservation works to its State listed properties over two years. For the 19/20 Financial Year $8,000 was allocated towards roof repairs to Barwon Park Mansion. The homestead has a slate roof and regular repairs and maintenance are required to the roof to keep it watertight.
Gulf Station is significant as one of the most complete surviving complexes of farm buildings of vernacular timber construction in Victoria. Special to this farm complex are the early timber post and rail fences. Carpenter Matthew Jeffery, together with a dedicated team of Gulf Station volunteers, is progressively undertaking vital repairs to these fences. Traditional methods of fence construction are being applied to these repairs including hand splitting using steel wedges, the use of an axe to make posts and rails and the use of a frow to make pickets, slabs and palings.
Labassa, Caulfield, is one of Melbourne’s most lavishly decorated nineteenth century mansions. It resulted from extensive remodelling in 1890 of an earlier house known as Sylliott Hill. Labassa is significant for its outstanding assemblage of late nineteenth century and early twentieth century European interior and exterior decoration, which is remarkably intact. One of these important features is the tessellated tiling to the front balconies. On the upper balcony, the edges of these tiles have deteriorated and a number have been lost. An important project is to reinstate the missing tiling to return the upper balcony to its original glory. A key component of this will be sourcing replacement tiles, which will need to be manufactured overseas.
A DELWP Living Heritage Grant was awarded to the National Trust in 2017 to undertake interior and exterior conservation works to the cottage. The works were completed in September 2018. The works commenced in January 2018 and were completed in September 2018. The works involved interior and exterior conservation works, including stabilisation of wallpapers and interior finishes.
Built in 1844 by lawyer Andrew McCrae and his artist wife Georgiana, the Homestead is a rare example of drop slab construction. Made from materials such as messmate, stringybark and wattle, the homestead was sold to the National Trust in 1970 by Georgiana’s great-great-great grandson.
The low-fired brickwork of the chimneys at McCrae is suffering from salt attack with both rising and falling damp. Conservation specialist David Young has reviewed the chimneys, recommending works spanning roof repairs, the removal of modern paint coatings, drawing out the salts from the brickwork and consolidating the brickwork with lime water, as well as repainting the brickwork with a lime wash.
Related content section
Como House commenced in 1855 and was completed in the early 1870s as the home of the Armytage family. Restoration of the two main windows to the tower were completed at the end of 2019. These repairs required specialist joinery, glazing and painting skills.