Harper’s Mansion was built by James and Mary Harper soon after 1834, when they bought land in Berrima township. James Harper was the only son of William Harper and Margaret Morgan, both convicts.
A grand vision derailed by a 19th century financial downturn, Harper’s Mansion stands on two of its original 100 acres. It has been lovingly restored after decades of use and neglect. It is a monument to the National Trust’s dedication and the original builders. Overlooking historic Berrima, Harper’s Mansion was built in 1834 by local publican James Harper and later owned by the Catholic Church. The house was restored by the National Trust from 1978 and is furnished in colonial style.
After Harper’s Mansion was opened to the public in 1985, the restoration work attracted two awards – one from the NSW Chapter of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects and the Wingecaribee Shire Design Award for Conservation/Restoration in 1987.
Harper’s Mansion is set in two acres of gardens made for strolling, full of cool climate heritage plants and featuring one of the largest hedge mazes in Australia.
This Property is managed solely by volunteers and all proceeds contribute to the maintenance of the house.