Vision: To live in a community which understands, values and enjoys its heritage.
Mission: To remain an independent, non-government community advocate, understanding and safeguarding our heritage today and tomorrow.
Director, Commercial – National Trust of Australia (NSW)
- Location Sydney, NSW
- Job Type Full-time
- Category Business
- Sectors : Arts, Culture, Heritage
- Reports to: CEO
- Base Salary: Over $100k plus super plus on-site parking in Sydney CBD
The National Trust is the largest community based, not-for-profit conservation organisation in
Australia, operating for more than 70 years. Our vision is to bring the heritage of New South Wales to life for future generations. We achieve this by advocating, conserving and protecting our built, cultural and natural heritage and by educating and engaging the community through the sharing and interpretation of all Australian heritage stories in ways that awaken a sense of place and belonging. To achieve this vision we require need to ensure the financial strength of the Trust.
The National Trust (NSW) is seeking a results driven leader to join the executive management team as Director, Commercial. The successful candidate will lead the National Trust NSW commercial strategy and be accountable for increasing our revenue/profits for major revenue streams across the Property portfolio, including but not limited to tourism, venue hire and retail. This role will also be directly responsible for managing a number of key properties which have multiple commercial opportunities (Retford Park, Everglades House and Gardens, Dundullimal Homestead and Saumarez Homestead).
This is an exciting new position created from the new 5 year Strategic Plan for the National Trust. You will work in collaboration with other executive leaders, the Chief Executive Officer and the Board to deliver the Strategic Plan. Proven commercial acumen and an ability to build strong relationships across the business are all essential qualities, as you will be working with a diverse group of stakeholders. You will need to be both strategic and hands-on if you are to meet your targets. Your greatest challenge will be to deliver outstanding results whilst respecting the heritage environment you are operating in.
About the Role
Reporting directly to the CEO, you will manage the:
- Development and implementation of a coordinated commercial strategy and approach that maximises revenue/profit for a number of key properties, which can be progressively adapted for roll out to other properties across the state
- Implementation of the commercial strategy that maximises revenue/profit for the key properties
- Operational aspects of key properties to delivery annual targets
- Performance of retail operations
- Implementation of systems that standardise practices and improve efficiencies across commercial operations
- Development of strong networks and peer relationships across the Trust
- Maintenance of external networks, partnerships and collaborations to ensure the Trust remains competitive and audience focussed
- Support for internal and external customers.
- As a person known for your integrity and strong business sense, you have a solid track record of delivering commercial outcomes at both a strategic and tactical level, with proven results across a diverse mix of undertakings;
- You have a deep knowledge of current trends in commercial activities within either the heritage, tourism, retail or hospitality sector and are nimble enough to adapt what you know to the organisation’s situation and circumstance;
- You possess superior communication, relationship, diplomacy, project management and organisational awareness skills and can successfully navigate a complex matrix of internal and external stakeholders.
Ultimately what makes this a truly special job will be your ability to impact the commercial success of our properties and ensure their sustainability into the future. This could be the perfect opportunity to bring your commercial experience into the not for profit environment and make a lasting impact for the future.
For a full position description or any enquiries call: 02 9258 0159 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, submit your CV together with a covering letter addressing the key accountabilities to: email@example.com
Closing date: 30 October 2019
NB: Flexible Start Date: January 2020
The National Trust is Australia’s pioneering Natural Area Restoration NGO and is seeking to employ qualified bush regenerators or people who have experience working with the Green Army environmental action program. Ideal applicants will be available 5 days per week. However three and four days per week availability will also be considered. Applicants must be passionate, hard-working, motivated, and keen to learn and share our passion for conservation work. Vacancies are available working with crews on projects located in the West, North and South of Sydney. Projects will include, bush regeneration, re-vegetation, noxious weed control, erosion control & instream fortification works, burn prep and asset protection.
The National Trust values motivated staff and rewards employees by
- Offering professional opportunities for growth and flexibility
- Offering interesting and challenging projects in a supportive team environment
- Actively encourages employee feedback and ownership of projects
- Paying above industry awards rates
Essential selection criteria
- Cert II or III in Conservation and Land Management or current enrollment
- Experience working with green army will be considered
- Current Chemical Certificate AQF3
- Knowledge of local native and exotic plant species and invasive weeds
- Current Drivers Licence and own vehicle
- OHS Green/White Card
- Physically fit for the inherent requirements of the role
- Ability to work as part of a team and under direct supervision
- Strong work ethic
Desirable Selection Criteria
- Current First Aid Certificate
- Certificate in Chainsaw Operations (level 1) and demonstrated experience using chainsaws
- Demonstrated experience using brushcutters and augers
- Demonstrated experience in herbicide spraying using backpacks and high-volume units
- Previous bush regeneration experience highly regarded
- Field ID skills for relevant flora and fauna highly regarded
- Other relevant training and/or experience (e.g. Horticulture) will be considered
If this sounds like the opportunity you have been looking for and would like to work with a highly respected organisation with a rich history in natural area conservation and restoration, please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.