Vision: To live in a community which understands, values and enjoys its heritage.
Mission: To remain an independent, non-government community advocate, understanding and safeguarding our heritage today and tomorrow.
1/ Always up for a chat?
The National Trust of Australia (NSW) is seeking some enthusiastic volunteers to come and help us make some a special phone calls. If you’re available for a few hours during working hours, and don’t mind getting on the phone and having a bit of a chat, we’d love to hear from you.
Please contact our Director of Development today via 02 9258 0123.
2/ Title: Acting Assistant Curator
Location: Old Government House and Experiment Farm Cottage, Parramatta
Reporting to: Regional Manager Western Sydney
Direct Reports: Nil (manages monthly rosters of 100+ volunteers)
This is a 6 month maternity backfill position with possibility to extend further 6 months.
Vacancy Closes: COB Friday 15 December 2017
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter to:
The National Trust is the State’s largest community based conservation organisation. It operates a number of important museums and leased historic properties while also looking after a large collection of objects and archaeological artefacts.
The Trust is committed to providing educational and cultural services that will enhance public knowledge and enjoyment of these resources.
SALARY: $28,071 pa based on PT Hrs ($25.71/hr) plus super
HOURS : Part-time equivalent – 3 days/week (21 hrs)
The days of working may depend on property activities but will be Tuesday, Thursday, Friday per week with two weekend days worked per month
The Assistant Curator is responsible for:
- Assisting the Regional Manager to oversee the daily operations of Old Government House and/or Experiment Farm Cottage.
- Assisting the Regional Manager with collection based research, interpretation, collections and exhibitions management and public programming
- Providing leadership and support for volunteers working with the public, either as guides or educators working with school groups.
- Produce in-house desktop design (some training provided) to develop basic invitations, retail signage etc.
The Assistant Curator reports to the Regional Manager on a regular basis. Working in partnership with the Education Coordinator, this position helps develop and implement both properties’ interpretation and public programs. The Assistant Curator works with the Regional Manager to ensure all Museum Officers and Volunteers are adequately informed and skilled in daily museum operations. This position must also help oversee the rosters, daily management and training of volunteers at both properties within National Trust guidelines.
The Assistant Curator helps research, develop and implement temporary and permanent exhibitions at both properties as directed by the Interpretation Plans and as required in conjunction with the Regional Manager.
The Assistant Curator will from time to time be required to work with staff in all other areas of museum activity, and also supervises reception, conservation, administration & maintenance volunteers as appropriate.
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- In conjunction with the Education Coordinator and Regional Manager, supervise and direct volunteers including:
- Preparation and distribution of volunteer rosters;
- Assistance with the recruitment and training of volunteers;
- Assistance with the maintenance of volunteer records
- Ensure that the house is open at the advertised times, the site is secured at the end of each day and appropriate security measures are in place at all times.
- Ensure that ticketing and retail services are provided during advertised open hours, including oversight of all bookings in accordance with procedures
- Carry out routine administrative tasks including the reconciliation of monies, control of petty cash and maintenance of visitor records, stock control and answering of public enquiries.
- As directed assist with the preparation of weekly financial records, monthly reports, and banking.
- Assist the Regional Manager and Education Coordinator to achieve the highest presentation standards of the property and collection. Implement housekeeping regimes for the collection as required, including monitoring the security and condition of the collection as required.
- Follow all policies and procedures of the Trust, consulting fully with the Regional Manager and other staff as required.
- Develop relationships with partner and community organisations
- As required, assist with the running of special events including open-days and lectures. This includes working with the on-site restaurant to provide specialist tours and ‘walk through’ for functions.
KEY PERFORMANCE MEASURES
- Assist with the redevelopment and implementation of exhibitions and public programs at both Parramatta properties
- Successful management and maintenance of existing volunteer, partner and community relationships
- Maintenance of a strong team ethic at the Parramatta Properties
- Growth of established Parramatta Properties volunteer programs in terms of numbers, hours and retention rate.
- Preservation of the physical integrity of the museums and their collections
- Experience in museum or heritage based-education programs, and understanding of heritage education practice
- Some exhibition development and curatorial experience, cultural tourism and/or interpretation of historic or cultural sites, including an understanding of museological practice.
- Experience managing, scheduling and training volunteers.
- Computer skills specifically word, excel and desktop publishing (preferably InDesign and Photoshop)
- Excellent communication, customer service and team work skills, including ability to conduct guided tours.
- An understanding of and commitment to the National Trust’s aims, objectives and workplace values, together with relevant policies and guidelines with particular regard for our Child Protection Policy and the principles of Equity & Diversity and OH&S.
- Current driver licence
- Current First Aid Certificate (or willingness to gain)
Cultural Tourism, Education, Museum Studies or other relevant discipline
- The Parramatta Properties have a small number of paid employees and a large group of volunteers. One of the main challenges the Acting Assistant Curator will be faced with, is the possibility of staff shortages on any given day. Flexibility, practicality and versatility are required to ensure that the houses are staffed and presented adequately.
- It is also a challenge to prioritise disparate tasks with limited resources and maintain efficient communications between colleagues and volunteers over the four week roster cycle (including weekends).