The National Trust of Australia (NSW) (‘the Trust’), administers the Paul William Butler Bequest which has the object of promoting vintage and veteran cars. The Trust accepts that veteran cars must be built before the end of 1918 and vintage cars between 1919 and 1930.
Purpose of Grants
One of the powers of the Trust is to make grants to organisations for the following purposes:
• The public exhibition of vintage and veteran cars in New South Wales;
• The restoration and preservation of vintage and veteran cars for the purpose of public exhibition in New South Wales;
• Education or research into vintage and veteran cars in New South Wales.
Applications should be relevant to the purposes set out above. It is envisaged that the grant applications may involve or feature:
• Activities including vintage and/or veteran cars.
• Public exhibitions may include static displays, car rallies and other means which provide an opportunity for the community to view and engage with the exhibition.
• Education or research may involve participation in studies or funding specific programs that will educate the community on vintage and/or veteran cars.
All organisations whose purposes align to the purposes of the grant are eligible to apply.
Applications are currently open for the calendar year 2023 but in exceptional circumstances applications for the remainder of 2022 and post 2023 will be considered.
- Wednesday 31 August 2022 – closing date for 2023 applications
- October 2022 – applicants notified of the decision by the Selection Committee
Costs to be covered by the Grant
Each grant will be limited to a discretionary maximum of up $10,000. Applications for both smaller and larger amounts may also be considered. The costs that may be covered by the grant include but are not limited to:
• Rally organisation costs and entrance expenses
• Promotion and publicity
• Subsidies for entrants’ expenses
• Training courses.
The Grant Selection Committee may, at their discretion, consider applications beyond the scope, costs and maximum application amount of $10,000 as defined in this paper. However, it is recommended that guidance should first be sought from The Trust, prior to submitting such an application.
The Selection Committee is constituted under the terms of the bequest and includes independent membership.
Method of Application
Applicants are required to submit a written application of at least one A4 page, but no more than four A4 pages.
The applications should include:
• Name of applicant
• Preferred contact details
• Brief outline of grant application
• How the grant relates to the purposes set out in this paper
• Approximate timing
• Proposed itemised budget
• Opportunities to link to the Trust e.g. for promotion of Trust properties or membership
• How the Trust will be publically acknowledged should the application be successful.
Please send the application to:
Attention: The CEO
The National Trust of Australia (NSW)
GPO Box 518
Sydney NSW 2001
The Selection Committee will consider applications on their merit, having regard to the purposes of the grant as defined in the Bequest.
Outcome of Selection Process
Every applicant will be notified of the decision by the Selection Committee for their application.
Successful applicants will need to submit an invoice for the amount of the approved grant, which will be paid within 30 days from the invoice date. Within 30 days from the completion of the grant funded activity successful applicants will be required to submit a report on the outcomes including itemised income and expenditure.
Brand and Promotion
The Trust is committed to supporting the promotion of the Butler Bequest Grant, and the activities it supports, through our social media and online channels. Promotional activity and planning in collaboration with the Trust will be managed in direct liaison with the Director, Marketing and Communications. The Trust will also provide a brand pack including the logo for print and electronic use, however all promotional applications of the brand must be pre-approved by the Trust. The Trust reserves the right to request changes to promotional material where the brand has not been applied appropriately and in accordance with our guidelines.