East Perth Cemeteries sits on Whadjuk Noongar Country in an area known as Martellup, on a sandy hill overlooking Western Australia’s capital city. In 1829 this was the site of the first colonial burial ground in Perth, when a general cemetery was established. This was followed by six more of more History With building of the church commencing in 1854, Holy Trinity is one of the oldest Anglican churches in Western Australia. At a time when the church existed as a nave only, it was consecrated by Perth’s first Anglican Bishop, Matthew Blagden Hale. A chancel and tower were added in more Previously owned by the Town of Bassendean, Perth History Association is now working in partnership with the local community to restore the houses and establish them as a local history research centre and museum. History The Bassendean Pensioner Guard Cottage remains the last Pensioner Guard cottage still standing in Perth, more St John’s was built in 1906, and it became the Cathedral for the newly-formed Diocese of Kalgoorlie in 1914. From 1973, Kalgoorlie once again became part of the Diocese of Perth, and the “Old Cathedral” is one of our treasures. For history buffs, there is the First World War memorial more Archive records reveal a history of the community movement to preserve significant places for all Australians. more The National Trust of Australia (NSW) maintains a Register of landscapes, townscapes, buildings, industrial sites, cemeteries and other items or places which the Trust determines have cultural significance and are worth of conservation.
The Trust’s first Register, entitled ‘Register of Historic Buildings’, was first printed and issued publicly in 1967, some ten years before any state heritage Legislation. This Register was the first list of heritage items (buildings) in New South Wales, and possibly Australia.
The Register has been continuously maintained since its establishment and now contains in excess of 12,000 heritage places, landscapes and conservation areas. more The Church has two foundation stones – one from the former St Mary’s and one from St Margaret’s, laid by The Venerable Archdeacon CL Riley in May 1937. St Margaret’s was designed by well-known architect WG Bennett and is unusual, being built without supporting pillars for the roof. The lack more The area was previously a traditional Noongar campsite and the Stirling expedition of 1827 camped there on 13 March 1827 with Stirling recording his delight with the area, naming the nearby creek ‘Ellen’s Brook’ after his wife. Church services had been held in the area since about 1831 but the more St Mary’s Anglican Church, Middle Swan, was constructed in 1869 on the site of an earlier (1840) mud-brick church designed by Magistrate TN Yule. Yule’s wife Lucy was the first person to be buried in the adjacent graveyard the year before. The church contains a number of attractive stained glass more Wending its way through granite outcrops, majestic forest, farmland and along the spectacular south coast the Track features 49 campsites with sleeping shelters, water and dunnies. These amazing facilities along with countless bridges, steps, lookouts and the Track itself are maintained with the help of over 300 dedicated volunteers. Your more Lieutenant General Sir Joseph John Talbot Hobbs, architect and distinguished WWI General, was responsible for many late nineteenth and early twentieth century buildings, including The Weld Club in Perth, the Savoy Hotel in Perth and Victoria Hall in Fremantle. James Wright, who established the first private architectural firm in Perth more The St George’s Cathedral Precinct consists of St George’s Cathedral (1888), Burt Memorial Hall (1917), The Deanery (1859) and the Cadogan Song School (2017). They are located near the site of Perth’s first Anglican Church, known as the ‘rush church’, constructed in 1929 at the corner of Hay Street and more The Cathedral is a thriving community of people who follow Jesus; and has four weekly Bible-based services as well as mid-week activities for children, youth and the community. Heritage significance and previous restoration On 22 July 1962 the new cathedral was dedicated, and construction was completed in time for the more The Society has recently funded the conservation and framing of one of these magnificent charts and it now hangs proudly in the Society’s offices. They are now seeking donations to fund the conservation and framing of the remaining two charts which will be displayed in the Museum and around the more Overlooking Meelon, the Murray River, this area is very significant to the Binjareb Noongar people. As colonists sought new land, Aboriginal people were forced from their Country, sometimes causing clashes and dislocation from their land. John and Mary Anne McLarty were among the first Europeans to settle in the Murray more Long before European colonisation, Barmup was a meeting place for Menang Aboriginal people. In 1826 a government farm was established near the water course which fed the fledgling settlement. It was later purchased by the Government Resident Sir Richard Spencer and in the 1890s by Francis and Maude Bird. A more History and heritage significance Constructed with limestone from the Government Quarries in Cantonment Street, the beautiful roof timbers were transported overland from WA’s southern Jarrah forests to Rockingham and then by sea, before being stored on site for two years to season. The nave roof is probably the finest craftsmanship more Alongside Sunday services, St Cuthbert’s has played host to many weddings, funerals and baptisms. More recently, it has hosted interfaith gatherings to build a stronger, more cohesive community. History In early 1924, Lot 24 of the Hillsden Estate was donated for a church by Mrs JF Stone and her daughters. more The Munda Biddi Trail Foundation engages with a large team of volunteers to maintain and improve the trail facilities over its entire length. The Foundation has a broad scope across trail maintenance, community engagement, stakeholder management, realignment projects, rider education and acting as a leading voice for our membership and more The National Trust ACT office holds a 6 drawer map cabinet holding various maps, plans and photographs of Canberra and the surrounding region. See the list of contents below. If you wish to view any of the items please contact the office on (02) 6230 0533 or send an email more His Majesty’s Theatre opened on Christmas Eve in 1904 with a performance of The Forty Thieves. Built in the Federation Free Classical style, when it opened it was the largest theatre in Australia and featured the country’s biggest stage. In the following 117 years it has grown to become one more