The School of Mines was opened in 1891 for practical training in mining .
The School of Mines houses a variety of working scale models of mining machinery as well as displays of historic mining photographs. There is also an extensive collection of medical equipment from the early days of Moonta and an apothecary display. Along with all of these wonderful attractions the School of Mines houses the Family History and Resource Centre which assists people with family history research and also researches the history of Moonta and its residents since the establishment of the district.
The School of Mines also houses a large collection of newspapers on microfilm that can be accessed and they include the Wallaroo Times, Yorke Peninsula Advertiser and People’s Weekly; all newspapers from the Copper Coast region dating back well over 100 years.