The original mine office and workshop exhibits displays of the Burra copper mining area, 1845-1877.
This site is on land originally purchased in 1846 by speculators from Aberdeen, Scotland and named the Bon Accord Mine.
Mining operations were abandoned in 1849, but recommenced in 1858 when mine offices, blacksmith’s forge, carpenter’s shop and manager’s residence were erected. An engine house containing a second-hand 50-inch Cornish pumping engine from the Burra Mine, was also erected but was demolished in 1887.No economic ore body was discovered and mining ceased in 1862.In 1908, pumping equipment was erected on the main shaft and supplied Burra’s water until 1966 when replaced by the Morgan-Whyalla pipeline.
The Bon Accord Mining Museum is located on the site of Bon Accord Mine, and incorporates the original mine office and workshop. The Museum displays mining relics, ore samples, the office pay table from the Monster (Burra Burra) Mine, plus information, photographs and memorabilia of the Burra copper mining area, 1845-1877. There are models of a horsewhim, and of Monster Mine and the above ground structures which existed there in 1858. The Blacksmith Shop is fully operational, with a forge of typical Cornish design and original elephant hide bellows. Housed in the pump shed is a shaft of the Bon Accord mine. Outside are a horsewhim core, a waterwheel hub and other pieces of mining equipment. More exhibits include three early fire engines, horse drawn vehicles including the Eastern Mail Buggy.
In a newly established display, called the Ladies’ Room, there are 3 wedding dresses from the 1800s and a rare quilt made in 1829 which is featured Jenny Manning’s book Australia’s Quilts, it is a true scrap quilt in a variety of dress fabrics from early 19th century.
*Part of the Burra Passport obtained from the Burra Visitor Centre. The Burra Heritage Passport gives access to a number of locations on the Johnny Green’s Trail.The cost of the Burra Heritage Passport for National Trust members is $20.00.