Australia’s grandest rural colonial estate
National Trust properties throughout Tasmania are open Saturdays and Sundays from 10am – 4pm. However we encourage all visitors to either contact the property or call 6344 6233 prior to visiting, as hours may change due to the changing nature of requirements as a result of the impact of COVID-19. Stay safe.
Set in 7 hectares of parklands on the banks of the South Esk River, this magnificent three-storey Georgian house has servants’ quarters, a heritage walled garden, several farm buildings and a rare avenue of elms.
It was built in 1838 as an extraordinary statement of achievement for wealthy wool grower and merchant, James Cox, who was born in Wiltshire, England.
Although Clarendon was built with convict labour, Mr Cox was known to treat his convicts well and he later played a major role in the abolition of transportation and convict labour.
Entry to Clarendon Estate includes the gardens; Clarendon Fashion Collection with precious gowns from the 1830’s to 1960’s; and the Norfolk Plains Heritage Centre, offering photo collections together with family history records and advice.
The Australian Fly Fishing Museum is now located in their new building in the grounds of Clarendon, with a vast collection of fly fishing paraphernalia the museum is well worth a visit.
The house is accessible by guided tour, the last tour of the day at 3:15pm allowing ample time to enjoy the property prior to the gate closure at 4pm. Twilight Tours are also available, please contact us or check our Facebook page for tour times.
Clarendon is the perfect location for weddings, corporate functions and specialty events. Please contact us for further information.