State Heritage listed single-gabled schoolroom built of local freestone, roofed and floored with local slate.
The Bassett Boys’ Schoolroom when it opened in 1862 was reported to be “an ornament to the east end of town”. James Bassett taught here with great distinction until his untimely death in 1875. His second wife Mary continued to run Bassett School and Buckland House until her death in 1889.
During the 1890s the Schoolroom became a Church of England School under Ella Hawkens. It was purchased by the District Council of Willunga in 1896 and served as Council Chamber and meeting room until 1962. After further use as Council depot and library storage area, the building was leased to Willunga National Trust and underwent major restoration in 1988.
Under the care of the National Trust it was used for a variety of purposes, including as a music studio and art gallery, before reverting to its original purpose as a schoolroom.
Walk behind the Schoolroom and visit the Wirra Creek Community Garden. The Garden is a welcoming place where activities relating to gardening and wellness occur. Our volunteers continue to develop the Garden, which is conducted on organic and biodynamic principles.