CAPE JAFFA LIGHTHOUSE MUSEUM
Originally built out to sea from Cape Jaffa on the Margaret Brock Reef and opened in 1872.
The historic lighthouse was 41 m high and known as a Wells Screw Pile – designed to ideally suit the local conditions. The 8 roomed dwelling accommodated two lightkeepers and families with enough stores to last several weeks. The First Order Chance Brothers lantern could be seen for 40 kms.
In 1973, the Federal Government de-commissioned the light station and gifted the lighthouse to the National Trust of South Australia. It opened in 1976 as a Museum, and is now managed by the Kingston National Trust branch.
From its commanding position on Kingston’s foreshore, check out the spectacular views from the top deck and get a glimpse into the incredible life of the lightkeeper in a very challenging workplace!
Originally situated on the Margaret Brock Reef, 8kms out to sea from Cape Jaffa, this lighthouse became Australia’s first lighthouse to be dismantled and re-located onshore.
Tours available on the hour, 10am to 3pm daily, July 3rd, 2021 – July 18th, 2021.
Tour duration: 45mins.
Please arrive 10 mins prior to tour start time.
Bookings RECOMMENDED to secure place.
Last tour at 3pm
At other times, by appointment, phone 0427854175