Built in 1850's in the village Steventon, operated as the Highercombe Hotel for 24 years.
Highercombe Hotel, opened in 1854 in the village of Steventon, is now a prominent landmark in the historic township of Tea Tree Gully. The building has served as a hotel, a community meeting room, a post office, a school room, and postal officer, teacher and private residence. Now a museum, formerly known as the Old Highercombe Hotel Museum, it changed name to Tea Tree Gully Heritage Museum in 2015.In the early days the main room was used for dances, council, lodge and public meetings and a polling booth on election day. From 1880 to 1963 the northern half of the building was used as the regional post office, while the remaining section housed the local headmaster, accommodated the overflow from the primary school, then became a family home.In 1965 the Tea Tree Gully Branch of the National Trust was formed and volunteers continue to manage, maintain and open the Museum – offering visitors the opportunity to envisage life in a by-gone era.
The Museum runs a variety of activities through the year, including a Whodunnit murder mystery, Breakfast with the Birds, A Touch of Christmas Past, Village Market, and school holiday events such as Wonderful Times with Nursery Rhymes and Teddy Bear Fair.
Group tours are welcome. The History Section of the Tea Tree Gully Library and some bus companies run coach tours, incorporating the Museum.