Timeless Trades Showcase: Heritage Skills Revival
Our members have a range of skills which are rare today. These include but are not limited to blacksmithing, wool spinning, rope making and recipes no longer in vogue. These will all be on display.
The Nathalia & District Historical Society will be open from 11am to 4pm on April 21st, 2024 to celebrate the Australian Heritage Festival.
Over that tie we will run workshops on:
– Blacksmithing, giving you the opportunity to see objects created from wrought iron or steel, by forging the metal, using tools to hammer, bend, and cut
– Wool spinning, giving people the opportunity to have a go themselves at spinning wool
– Rope making so attendees can gain the basic concepts of this skill
– Our kitchen will open up to cooking dumplings, banana bread and jam drops; recipes forgotten over time
– There will be a information session on cemetery icons and their meanings, with the option of a self-guided cemetery walk to follow
– Information session on how to get started tracing your family