A peep at our Pioneers
Guided tours of two local cemeteries that have memorials of local pioneers who impacted on life in The Oaks area and the wider shire of Wollondilly Shire. Following the tours visitors are invited to visit the Wollondilly Heritage Centre and Museum for light refreshments and a self guided tour.
St Matthews Anglican Graveyard at Old Oaks contains pioneers from as far back as the First Fleet. The attached church was opened in 1938 to serve the local pioneers and their convict staff. St Aloysius Catholic Cemetery started in the 1860s and include some memorials moved from Burragorang Valley when the valley was flooded for Sydney’s water supply. The Wollondilly Heritage Centre and Muesum has 6 buildings of historical exhibitions plus well-appointed seating area to relax and clean restrooms.