The 1853 railway station is an exposed timber frame building featuring steeply pitched, corrugated-iron roof.
The original tramway extended directly onto the jetty at Horseshoe Bay and in 1865 a new stone passenger station was constructed. The final 1911 development appears to have incorporated the original passenger station building in the construction.The Port Elliot Railway Station, including the railway station and a renovated railway shed, is the site of the Port Elliot National Trust Historic Railway and Seaport Centre.
The railway station features an award winning Historical Interpretative Display of Sea Port 1852 — 1864 and Railway 1854. The Centre has Family Research facilities for South Australian and Family and Local Histories for sale. Matthew Flinders Journals are available for inspection and an excellent selection of souvenirs are for sale.