The Overland Corner Hotel built in 1860 became a post office from 1897 to 1913.
Captain Charles Sturt’s whaleboard expedition carried the first Europeans to Overland Corner. Pioneering pastoralists and overlanders recognised the potential of the area and Overland Corner quickly became the administrative and cultural centre of the region. With sly grog shops appearing in the area in the late 1850s, John Chambers recognised the need for a licensed hotel and completed the first stage of construction of the Overland Corner Hotel in 1860. In 1897 to 1913 the Hotel became a post office, witnessing the transition from horse-drawn coach to motor-mail and ‘modern’ coach services.
Artefacts are on display throughout the Hotel and in the Old Post Office. Walking trails through the surrounding reserves, Overland Corner Reserve and Herons Bend Reserve, particularly around the flood plain of the river and lagoon, enable visitors to see water fowl in their habitats as well as fossils exposed on the river cliffs and old quarry walls. Coaches/groups welcome by appointment.
Historic and Significant Buildings; ABC Riverland radio broadcast interview with Bob Cornwell, NTSA Councillor for the Riverland Region