About 40 people gathered on Saturday, September 23, for the official unveiling of the latest historical marker forming part of Port Elliot’s Heritage Trail.
Coinciding with the first anniversary of the passing of long-term National Trust Port Elliot president, Lorraine Pomery, OAM, the marker shows the location
of the former Cliff House, one of the early land-mark building in the town.
Originally built as the Globe Hotel in 1854, it later became known as Cliff House in 1874, and run as a guest house, accommodating up to 60 people, proving popular also with several South Australian governors who used it for summer holidays. Mrs Pomery’s family took it over in 1906 and it was there that she spent her early childhood and then later in adulthood working with her parents and grand-parents in the running of the business.
It was eventually sold in 1971 and subsequently demolished to make way for a dozen or so cottages built for the Australian Natives Association.The Heritage Trail marks many on Port Elliot’s early history as a sea port and the Port Elliot National Trust branch is very active with several projects currently on the go.
Branch president Paul Taylor acknowledged the support of Lorraine Pomery’s family and that of the Alexandrina Council in its on-going work preserving the town’s important history.
Words: Paul Taylor, NTSA Port Elliot Branch Chair
- National Trust Port Elliot Committee: Richard Binney, Allan Steel, Gordon Ure, Peter Edson, Kate Waldmann, Bron Lewis, Paul Taylor
- Heritage Trail Sign
- Paul Taylor
- Port Elliot Town and Foreshore Members attending
- Brian Carnegie-Smith