Conservation Appeals – St Andrew’s Anglican Church, Evandale

A devastating fire has led a much loved northern Tasmanian church to open a National Trust Conservation Appeal.

A soaring white church with a tall steeple and arched window, against a deep blue clear sky.

St Andrew’s Anglican Church, Evandale, which lost its hall in a fire in June 2023 has recently opened a National Trust Conservation Appeal. Through the appeal the Evandale Church seeks to replace the infrastructure that the hall represented.

The present St Andrew’s is the third church on the site. Plans for the first church were finalised in 1834 and the building officially opened in 1837 by the Lt Governor of Van Diemen’s Land, Sir John Franklin. The building was used as a place of worship on Sundays and a school room during the week. It was later used as a Sunday School before being demolished around 1910.

 

In October 1838, the community petitioned the colonial government to build a larger, more suitable church. Work began in 1841 and the new red brick building with a square tower was completed about 1844. The discovery of large cracks, caused by faulty foundations, led to the church being demolished in 1871.

 

The foundation stone for the present church was laid on 30 November 1871 and building commenced using many of the original bricks. The new church was consecrated and dedicated to St. Andrew on 17 May 1872. Architect, Alexander North (1858-1945) appears to have taken a leading role in the conservation of the Evandale church, infilling the west end with a reinforced concrete structure to brace the building.

 

St Andrew’s Anglican Church, Evandale, is today part of the parish of Holy Trinity, Launceston, which also has a National Trust Tasmania Conservation Appeal.

To donate please transfer funds by EFT to the National Trust of Australia (Tasmania) BSB: 017 042 Account number: 497 823 327. Please use the payment narration Evandale Church + your surname. Please email the Trust to request a receipt that provides a tax deduction for your donation at: admin@nationaltrusttas.org.au

Surrounded by trees is a tall white church with a tall steeple and grey roof.