Mines House is a Type ‘E’ design by architect Beni Carr Glynn Burnett. The Type ‘E’ is an elevated, timber-framed, asbestos cement clad residence. The original design included asbestos cement roof sheeting, which was recently replaced with, grey Colorbond sheeting. There have been a number of changes made since construction, largely due to damage from the aging process. For example, a rather special original feature of the design, now gone, was the staged wooden stairway at the front of the house.
Unlike most of the other houses in the precinct, the previous occupants of this house have been from a variety of government departments. Upon its completion, the Director of Mines, W A Hughes, first occupied the house, from July 1939. In late January 1942, Hughes was advised that the house would be required to accommodate United States Army Forces. One month later, on 19 February 1942, the Japanese bombed Darwin. The Australian Navy took over administration of the house from 5 March and it would appear that USA forces were billeted there for a few weeks at most. By August 1943 it was being used as the Navy Captain’s office.
Mines House is now leased out by the National Trust. Visitors to the Myilly Point Heritage Precinct can view the house from Burnett Place.