Royal Bull's Head Inn at Drayton was one of the first Inns on the Darling Downs.
The history of the Royal Bull’s Head Inn can be divided into three key periods to facilitate student investigation and learning:
1. The period from 1847-75 when the Royal Bull’s Head Inn operated as an hotel and tavern
2. The period from 1879-1973 when it was used as a family home and post office (until 1952)
3. The period from 1973 to the present when it has been owned by the National Trust and operated as a museum.
Key themes that are the focus of the accompanying work programs are:
– the building’s function as a community hub throughout its history (inn, post office, museum)
– changes in technology over the period of the building’s history (e.g. cooking, washing, transport)
– the role of museums and heritage places in our society
– the contribution of individuals and groups to the development of Australian society (e.g. pioneers, explorers, pastoralists)
– the development of colonial society and the Australian colonies (e.g. the expansion of the Darling Downs and the development of Toowoomba).
The National Trust has prepared an Australian Curriculum Work Program, in the History subject area, that relates to Royal Bull’s Head Inn.
The following resources are available :