Light, tasty and easy to make for lunches or picnics. Try this classic quiche recipe from the ever-popular Trust Café next to the S.H Ervin Gallery.
A trip to the S.H. Ervin Gallery on Observatory Hill is never complete without a stop at the charming Trust Café. Situated next door to the gallery in a high-ceilinged former schoolroom, the Trust Café serves up tasty refreshments and lunches, and one item that never leaves its menu is this classic quiche. It’s baked with just a fraction of the pastry of an ordinary quiche, and the no-fuss ingredients make it quick and easy to assemble. After 40 years on the Trust Café menu, we can finally reveal the top-secret recipe of this classic quiche.
Serves 8/makes 1 large quiche
1 sheet of frozen puff pastry
6 eggs, lightly beaten
600 mls cream
600 mls milk
300 mls sour cream
Salt and pepper
3/4 cup of self raising flour
1 1/2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
1 leek, rinsed and sliced
1 bunch of asparagus, rinsed and cut into segments
Optional: 100g ham finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 160 °C
2. Mix the eggs, cream, milk, sour cream, self raising flour and cheese together. Season with salt and pepper, and mix well
3. Lightly grease a 31cm pie dish
4. Cut a strip of puff pastry that is roughly 15cm thick, then wrap the strip of puff pastry around the sides of the pie dish only (not the bottom of the dish). You may need to cut multiple strips and join them together along the sides of the dish.
5. Arrange the uncooked leeks and asparagus on the bottom of the pie dish. For a Quiche Lorraine option, add the ham as well at this point.
6. Pour the wet ingredients over the top of vegetables/ham. Sprinkle with extra cheese
7. Bake at 160 °C for 40 minutes, or until filling is firm and the pastry is golden. Set aside for 10 minutes before serving. Delicious warm or cold.
Find out more
OPENING HOURS: Tuesday-Friday 12-3pm | Saturday & Sunday 12-5pm | Closed Mondays.
T: (02) 9258 0175. Bookings advised.
Subscribe to the National Trust newsletter for more recipes, news and special offers.