The Holy Trinity Anglican Church has been a cornerstone of spiritual, cultural and historical life in the Shire of York and broader Avon Valley for more than 160 years.
With building of the church commencing in 1854, Holy Trinity is one of the oldest Anglican churches in Western Australia. At a time when the church existed as a nave only, it was consecrated by Perth’s first Anglican Bishop, Matthew Blagden Hale.
A chancel and tower were added in 1893 and, in 1905, St John’s Church was moved from Avon Terrace and re-erected on its present site as the parish hall, adjoining Holy Trinity Church.
Ministered by Reverend Edward Millet with his wife Janet from 1863–69, the couple would have originally lived in the old Rectory. When the new Rectory was built in 1875, the kitchen from 1853 was retained. The original kitchen remains a treasured part of the church’s architecture.
In 1986, three very striking stained glass windows designed by noted artist Robert Juniper were installed in the church. The Anglican Archbishop of Perth, Dr. Peter Carnley, conducted the dedication service. The Rector of York at the time was Reverend Peter Mold who continues to be a much-loved member of the congregation and community.
After comprehensive review, a Conservation Management Strategy was produced by Laura Gray of Heritage Intelligence WA, which identified a list of important works, including:
- Mending issues related to the roof structure as well as the roof’s plumbing and drainage.
- Mending of ground level drainage.
- Restoration of external walls.
- Urgent intervention to save the coach house located at the rear of the Rectory.
As a treasured part of the community within the Avon Valley, with love and some helping hands it is the hope that the Holy Trinity Anglican Church will remain for further generations to come.
Please consider making a donation to our heritage appeal.
All donations of $2 or more are tax deductible.