On 16 October 1963, the Honourable Harold Richter, the Minister for Local Government and Conservation introduced the National Trust of Queensland Bill into parliament. On 9 December 1963, The National Trust of Queensland Act received the Royal Assent, one day before the 104th anniversary of the reading of the proclamation establishing Queensland a separate colony in 1859.
Prior to June 1964, the Government announced that it had exercised a small curtilage of land surrounding Wolston House from a larger portion of crown land and it was their intention to gift the house to the Trust. The house was then in a dilapidated condition and the first project of the Trust was its restoration and preservation.
52 years later the National Trust of Australia (QLD) activities still remain focused on heritage and environmental education. Through its properties, advocacy and research, NTA(Q) encourages the community to understand and care for our significant places, wildlife, and stories. To undertake these valuable activities, NTA(Q) relies heavily on the work of its many volunteers. To fund these activities, NTA(Q) relies on income from membership fees, property admission fees, sponsorships and partnerships, donations and grants. NTA(Q)’s properties are open for the community to enjoy. However, the cost of maintaining and operating these valuable heritage assets is quite considerable.
National Trust of Australia (QLD) also advocates for the recognition and care of heritage places throughout Queensland and is made up of over [however many thousand] volunteers and [however many] employees statewide caring for eleven properties. These properties include Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, Royal Bulls Head Inn, Wolston House, Brennan & Geraghty’s Store Museum, Grandchester Railway Station, Hou Wang Temple, James Cook Museum, Lyall’s Store, Stock Exchange Arcade, Townsville Heritage Centre and the Zara Clark Museum.