Now leased as an art gallery, the York Centre for Art and Healing
From the lofty grandeur of the court room to the stark confines of the prison cells, the York Courthouse Complex tells the intriguing story of country policing from the days of the first convicts to the late twentieth century.
York was Western Australia’s first inland town (founded 1831) and in 1852 the first part of the courthouse complex, the cell block and police station, was built. As the town prospered and expanded, so did the complex.
A courtroom was added in 1859, the police station was expanded, and a troopers’ cottage, stables and yard were built to the rear.
With the influx of money from the goldfields, part of the complex was demolished and a new two-storey courthouse was built in 1895.
The cells continued to be used until 1981 when a new police station was built in the town.
The court room was still in use after the National Trust acquired the property in 1983.
The Courthouse Complex is now leased as an art gallery.
The York Centre for Art and Healing will host a permanent art display, featuring a selection of Western Australian art including pieces made by internationally renowned Aboriginal artists, as well as holding temporary exhibitions.
The owners also plan to have a focus on therapeutic art and to establish a series of workshops run by local artists.
Items will be available for sale, including artworks and Western Australian antiques and collectibles.
Visitors are welcome to view information about the history of this significant place.