Dr Stephen Simpson purchased 640 acres of land located on the banks of the Brisbane River, half way between Brisbane and Ipswich and commenced construction of Wolston Farmhouse there in 1852.
He established a horse and cattle station on the property and named it after his Warwickshire birth place.
A learned man, Dr Stephen Simpson was also a JP, Police Magistrate, a member of the first Legislative Council of Queensland and appointed Crown commission of Lands in the 1840’s.
In 1860 the property was sold to Matthew Goggs who continued to breeds and cattle and raised a large family there.
His son, also named Matthew, sold the Wolston estate to the Grindle family in 1906.
They introduced a dairy business, supplying milk to Brisbane suburbs into the 1930s before selling it to farmer Bert Hurley in1956 who sold it to the Queensland Government.
The National Trust of Australia (Queensland) acquired Wolston Farmhouse and a small parcel of land in 1963, and has worked hard to salvage and restore the property. Popular with visitors, it features furnishings and artefacts dating back more than a century and is a much loved and valued property in the Trust portfolio.
There have been interesting reports from some visitors who have sensed or experienced paranormal activity at Wolston Farmhouse which may be attributed to the tragic deaths of two previous residents—John Ommaney in 1856 and Jem Grindle in the 1940s who both died in tragic horse riding accidents.