Collie Roundhouse – Expressions of Interest to Lease

Are you interested in leasing the only remaining railway roundhouse in Western Australia - a unique heritage building central to the future of historic Collie? The National Trust is now calling for expressions of interest for this special opportunity.

The Collie Roundhouse is a post-World War Two early 1950s building constructed to house 14 steam locomotives. It remains intact complete with turntable pit and turntable. The substantial curtilage associated with the Roundhouse offers opportunities for tourism infrastructure and community use through the development of a precinct which connects to the town and its Visitor’s Centre.

The National Trust is chartered to protect and promote the heritage values of this important heritage place and recognises the optimal way to achieve this is through supporting a range of activities and uses at the site. The Roundhouse is ideally located at the western entrance to Collie and offers a range of opportunities to capitalise on its landmark status.

The National Trust is seeking expressions of interest from potential lessees to:

  • find a sustainable and compatible new use for the Collie Roundhouse, Railway Reserve, Coalfields Highway, Collie
  • maximise community benefit through activation of the place and capitalise on its landmark status

images courtesy Greg Davis

 

Submission Information

Potential Use

The Roundhouse offers a range of opportunities to capitalise on its landmark status. Its substantial curtilage offers additional opportunities for tourism infrastructure and community use through the development of a precinct which connects to the Visitor’s Centre and Town centre.

The National Trust will consider expressions of interest proposals against criteria including; financial sustainability, community benefit, and potential impact on heritage values. Proposals that include consideration of, and a response to, the heritage values of the places will be favourably considered.

Please note that the Collie Roundhouse is currently classified as a contaminated site – restricted use (commercial/ industrial).  The National Trust is seeking funding to remediate the site suitable for a public use.

Expressions of Interest are to be submitted to the National Trust on or before 3pm Monday 24 September 2018 and should include the following details:

  • Name of the proponent(s), business address and relevant contact details
  • Details of any proposed team members, consultants/ contractors
  • Details of proposed use of the place and any anticipated impact on heritage values
  • Business case
  • Details of proposed lease terms including but not limited to:
    • length of the desired lease
    • extent of lease
    • proposed rental fee
    • proposed capital expenditure (cash and in kind)
    • any other relevant terms and conditions
  • Names and contact details of three referees who have had recent dealings with the proponents
  • Level of insurances and name of the company that holds the policy

Supporting Documents 

 

Collie Roundhouse Information Document

Frequently Asked Questions

History

The significant role rail played in the emergence of Collie as a source of coal for Western Australia is highlighted by the infrastructure that remains in the town of Collie, with the Collie Railway Roundhouse and Turntable and the Railway Goods Shed (c1898) and Footbridge (c1912) being key components. Collie Coal was discovered in 1883 but was not immediately exploited because of the dominance of the eastern states coalfields and the lack of a railway to transport the coal from Collie to Bunbury.  The Collie townsite was declared in 1896.

The South West railway line was completed in 1893 and the line from Brunswick to Collie in 1898. Access to rail transport launched Collie and the coal industry on a sound basis and boosted settlement in the district. The important role that the engineer-in-chief and acting general manager of railways in Western Australia, Charles Yelverton (CY) O’Connor played in establishing the Collie coalfields is often overlooked. He pushed hard for the building of the line from Brunswick to Collie and argued convincingly for the use of local coal so that WA would be independent of the unreliable Eastern States coal.

The Roundhouse is thought to be the only remaining Roundhouse in the State. From the 1920’s Collie had the biggest marshalling yards outside of Fremantle. The remnants of its twelve lines can be seen in the Railway Precinct. The place has been assessed by the National Trust of Western Australia and is included on the State Register of Heritage Places with the following statement of significance:

The off-form concrete walls, the concrete columns and precast concrete beams combine to produce a dramatic architectural character particularly when viewed from inside where light enters from the glazed roof areas and plays on the various angles of the concrete surfaces. The method of housing the locomotives can easily be appreciated and is a demonstration of a past industrial usage.

Preservation of the Roundhouse and Turntable is important for the interpretation of rail heritage in the region as well as providing an insight into the lives, work and achievements of post-World War Two Australia. The place has social value as the focus of railway in the region for 120 years. This value is enhanced by its prominent location and as an iconic structure.

Location

Collie Roundhouse is located on the western edge of the Town of Collie, 190km south of Perth and 55km east of Bunbury. On the Coalfields Highway 850 metres west of the Collie Visitor Centre, it sits on crown reserve land assigned for railway use since being gazetted in 1919.
In 2011 Lot 561 on Deposited Plan 68077, and Lot 2860 on Deposited Plan 36230 were set apart as Reserve 47127 for the purpose of ‘Heritage Place’ with a Management Order in favour of The National Trust of Western Australia.

 

Address

Address:

Lot 561 Coalfields Road, Collie, Western Australia 6225