The Trust has been successful in an application to the Collie Futures Industry Development Fund (CFIDF) for funding that will enable remediation of the Collie Roundhouse site and conservation of the iconic structure.
The Roundhouse was inscribed on the State Register of Heritage Places on 14 November 2017 following an interim registration in 1992. The site was classified by the Department of Environment Regulation on 10/2/15 as ‘contaminated – restricted use’. Contamination and hazardous materials investigations are ongoing.
The significant role rail played in the emergence of Collie as a source of coal for Western Australia is highlighted by the infrastructure that remains in the town of Collie, with the Collie Railway Roundhouse and Turntable and the Railway Goods Shed (c1898) and Footbridge (c1912) being key components.
Collie Coal was discovered in Collie in 1883 but was not immediately exploited because of the dominance of the eastern states coalfields and the lack of a railway to transport the coal from Collie to Bunbury. The Collie townsite was declared in 1896.
The South West railway line was completed in 1893 and the line from Brunswick to Collie in 1898. Access to rail transport launched Collie and the coal industry on a sound basis and boosted settlement in the district. The important role that the engineer-in-chief and acting general manager of railways in Western Australia, Charles Yelverton (CY) O’Connor played in establishing the Collie coalfields is often overlooked. He pushed hard for the building of the line from Brunswick to Collie and argued convincingly for the use of local coal so that WA would be independent of the unreliable Eastern States coal.
Little detail is included in the assessment of significance documentation for the place but it is noted that:
The first roundhouse in the state was constructed in Bunbury in about 1929 at a cost of between £30,000 and £40,000.
A turntable was located in Collie from as early as 1898 when it was reported that ‘the carriage sheds, engine sheds and turntable are now assuming a finished appearance, and the railway contractors are to be congratulated on successfully getting the heavy ironwork of the turntable into position without accident to either men or material’. It is likely that this was located near the intersection of Forrest Street and Prinsep Street North.
It was reported in June 1947 that ‘a new turntable 80ft long’ was located in Collie.
The Roundhouse is a post-war building which housed 14 steam locomotives. It remains intact complete with turntable pit and turntable. It is thought to be the last extant Roundhouse in Western Australia. 
The place was classified by the National Trust in 1988, placed on the Shire’s municipal inventory in 1996, and included on the State Register of Heritage Places as an interim registration in 1992 and adopted on 14 November 2017 with the following statement of significance:
Railway Round House Collie, Coalfields Hwy, Collie, a concrete and iron structure, and its associated turntable, has cultural heritage significance for its scientific value as one of the few, if not the only, railway round house remaining in Western Australia. It provides a fine demonstration of its past industrial use. 
 Register of Heritage Places Interim Entry Place 0541 28/8/1992. Note values are from 1929.
 Register of Heritage Places Interim Entry Place 0541 28/8/1992
The National Trust of Western Australia (the Trust) aspires to awaken the community to the value of heritage. The National Trust is a statutory authority that works under an Act of Parliament, but at the same time it is also recognised as a not for profit, community based organisation and a registered charity. The National Trust works both for Government and for the community.
The Trust acknowledges its properties are situated on Aboriginal land across the state and recognises Aboriginal people remain the cultural and spiritual custodians of their land and continue to practise their values, languages, beliefs and knowledge. The Trust is committed to working with Aboriginal people to ensure these practices are recognised and included in the conservation and interpretation of its properties and Aboriginal people are consulted and involved in the development of Trust projects and programs.