The beloved Broadway Hotel, a Brisbane landmark, is at risk from demolition by neglect.
It suffered extensive damage in a fire on Sunday, 2 September 2018 but has also deteriorated and suffered from a lack of maintenance and subsequent lack of use for a number of years. Following the recent fire, we are more concerned that the future of this building is at risk – a risk that will increase each day if urgent stabilisation works are not carried out.
The Trust Actions
What are we doing to love and save the Broadway Hotel? We are showing the local and state government that Brisbane loves the Broadway Hotel and wants it saved. We are advocating for the site’s stabilisation and protection.
• 3 letters to government
• Meeting with Brisbane City Council Lord Mayor
• Meeting with Brisbane City Council Woolloongabba Ward Councillor
• Meeting with (state) Minister for the Environment and Science
• Countless phone calls with Brisbane City Council Advisors, Minister’s Advisors and Department of Environment and Science staff
• Attended 1 Public Rally
• Activated a public awareness campaign
• Assisted other organisations to advocate, such as the Australian Institute of Architects, and encouraged them to also write to local and state government
• Generated media activity around the issue
• 92 signatures on National Trust Broadway Hotel postcards to the Lord Mayor.
• Multiple media articles, raising public awareness of this issue (you can access the media articles here)
• Direct Outcome:
The Brisbane City Council Lord Mayor has now issued a Show Cause notice to the owner – this is in addition to two earlier enforcement orders which dealt with site safety (issued on August and October).
The Show Cause notice is the first step in the Enforcement Order process that we requested Council to make and is a great first step for the building’s interim protection.
We commend Council for acting and taking this important step. The owner of the Broadway Hotel has until 14 December 2018 to respond to the Show cause Notice.
• Direct Outcome:
The Minister’s office has stated that they will extend the current Stop Order before the current order expires on the 3rd December 2018. We commend Minister Enoch for extending the Stop Order.
• Direct Outcome:
With our encouragement, the Australian Institute of Architects has issued a letter to the Lord Mayor regarding the Broadway Hotel.
What can YOU do?
We need more action to protect the Broadway Hotel! This is what YOU can do:
• Send an email to Brisbane City Council (or contact us for a postcard) commending Brisbane City Council for issuing the Show Cause notice and encouraging them to continue doing everything in their power to ensure this building’s future. Tell them you love the Broadway and want it saved! [email protected]
• Send an email to Minister Leeanne Enoch (or contact us for a postcard) commending her for extending the Stop Work Order on the Broadway Hotel and asking her to issue a Repair and Maintenance Order on the Hotel and do everything in her power to ensure the Broadway’s future. Tell her you love the Broadway and want it saved! [email protected]
• Join the Campaign – go to our website to find more details on the Broadway.
What is the NATIONAL TRUST doing?
We are focusing on these issues:
• Activating our members and non-members to be involved and be active.
• Ensuring media coverage does not drop.
• Obtaining legal advice on the extent of power in the Heritage Act’s Maintenance and Repair Provisions, and the Building Act’s Enforcement provisions – we need to urgently break through the stalemate between the state and local government and ensure that action is taken and the owner is required to care for this significant place.
• If the provisions in the legislation are not strong enough for adequate protection of Queensland’s heritage places, we will call for an urgent review of these aspects of the legislation to try and close the gaps in the legislation.
A Petition has been organised by the Community Group called “Save the Broadway”. Click here to sign the Petition now.