Settlers Cottage on Lot 508 ( 1.1 ha / 11238m2) and lot 450 (0.105 ha / 1050m2) at 180 Pearson Street, Churchlands (City of Stirling) is the last remaining of forty identical cottages built on the perimeter of Herdsman Lake in the early 1930s under a combined project by the Department of Lands and Surveys and the Workers’ Homes Board.
In 1920, 1,073 acres (433 ha) of land was acquired by the State Government for the purpose of developing the area for intensive agriculture.
Herdsman Lake Settlers Cottage demonstrates an important government land settlement scheme from the inter-war years and the changing status of the locality between the 1930s and the 1990s. The building is a reminder of government designed workers’ housing and lifestyles in Western Australia in the 1930s and early post-World War Two period.
In 1995 the cottage was relocated eastwards on the site and reinstated 75m from its original site, in order to clear the way for the proposed Stephenson Highway. Basic power and water services have been reinstated and the chimney and fireplace area rebuilt to match the original.