Brief and Call for Tender - Historian Consultant Services for No 3 Pump Station Cunderdin, No 4 Pump Station Merredin, and No 8 Pump Station, Dedari.
The Goldfields Water Supply Scheme (GWSS) commences at Mundaring Weir and ends at Mount Charlotte in Kalgoorlie. The GWSS comprised many components: the pipe, the dam, pumping stations, tanks, reservoirs, houses and many other small structures.
This brief is for engagement of an historian to investigate documentary evidence in support of the above review and update of the conservation plans for:
1. Goldfields Water Supply Scheme generally
2. No 3 Pump Station, Cunderdin
3. No 4 Pump Station, Merredin
4. No 8 Pump Station, Dedari
No 3 Pump Station, now the Cunderdin Museum, is located in Cunderdin, in the Wheatbelt region of WA, 156km east of Perth along the Great Eastern Highway. The National Trust of Australia (WA) and the Shire of Cunderdin have had joint vesting of No 3 Pump Station since 2000.
No. 4 Pump Station is located in Merredin on Great Eastern Highway on the western outskirts of the town. The place is jointly vested in the National Trust of Australia (WA) and the Shire of Merredin.
No. 8 Pump Station is located at Dedari about 70 km west of Coolgardie 5 km north off Great Eastern Highway. The place is vested in the National Trust of Australia (WA).
Scope of work
- Review and take into account existing documentation including, but not limited to, the 1999 conservation plan for the place, subsequent investigations, and National Trust of Australia (WA) property management files.
- Review existing ‘whole of pipeline history’ including the period since 1999 in relation to the pump stations.
- Review of the documentary evidence for No 3, 4 & 8 Pump Stations (Note: each pump station should have an individual documentary evidence prepared) that should include greater focus on the broader historical context and elements of life on the pump stations such as work, recreation, education, health, isolation and associations with the railway. The review should include all maps, diagrams, plans and images.
- Undertake a desk top study to outline the Aboriginal history of the area and the extent of sites of Aboriginal significance and their relationship to No 3, 4 & 8 Pump Station.
- Propose a Statement of Significance for GWSS, and each of No 3, 4 & 8 Pump Stations in conjunction with the physical evidence and National Trust of Australia (WA) staff. (Note: Each pump station should have an individual Statement of Significance proposed)
Tender closing: Monday 12th September 2016, 4pm
Submissions to: The National Trust of Western Australia,
The Old Observatory, 4 Havelock Street, West Perth
or email firstname.lastname@example.org