Shoes - Footsteps in the House of Discovery, an activation featuring selected shoes from the National Trust collection of historical fashion, as well as footwear-related decorative arts and idiosyncratic curios.
The experience will be a dreamscape of installations in the rooms of Como House & Garden, South Yarra, Melbourne. This work is part of the PayPal Melbourne Fashion Festival Cultural Program.
Some Themes throughout the house:
- A Short History of Footwear in Melbourne
- The Promenade – walking to show off
- 12 Dancing Princesses – welcome to the ball
- Misfortune – Superstitions and Protection Spells “ A thief’s shoes always squeak – an old Ukrainian proverb from my grandmother”
- Dreaming of Shoes
Dates: February 3rd to April 23rd 2023
- Wednesdays and Fridays at 2pm
- Saturdays and Sundays at 11am, 12:30pm, and 2pm
The tours will be limited to 12 people per tour to ensure a bespoke and intimate experience.
Shoes – Footsteps in the House of Discovery Curator Talk
Dates: Sunday 12 February & Sunday 2 April at 10.30am & 12.30pm
Learn about the Trust’s collection of strange and wonderful shoes with Senior Curator Elizabeth Anya-Petrivna in the fabulous Ballroom at Como House.
This talk runs for approximately 45 minutes with time for questions at the end.