The former Governor of New South Wales, Professor The Honourable Dame Marie Bashir AD CVO, patron of the Macquarie Society will at 11.00 a.m. formally unveil a plaque to commemorate the restoration of the two-storey Convict Barracks (circa 1820-1822).
The homestead at ‘Macquarie’ has also been restored and the formal rooms will be open for viewing.
Circumstantial evidence supports the assertion that ‘Macquarie’, containing the original 1000 acre land grant to Lieutenant William Lawson by Governor Lachlan Macquarie as his reward for his contribution in finding a way across the Blue Mountains, is the oldest farm and oldest continuing residence west of the Great Divide. In it’s 200 years of European history ‘Macquarie’ has only had two owners prior to the Hennessys, namely, the Lawson and McKibbin families. Accordingly, it remains remarkably unaltered.
‘Macquarie’ is situated approximately 12 kilometres south east of Bathurst on the O’Connell Road and approximately 8 kilometres from the Great Western Highway.
Refreshments will be available. It would be appreciated if visitors would bring their own folding picnic chairs. Limited seating will be provided.
Entry fee: $10pp (Concessions for families, children and seniors).
Net proceeds raised on the day will be donated to the Bathurst Community Op Shop.
To assist with catering it would be helpful if you could RSVP by 7 March, 2018 to Paul & Bonny Hennessy: email: email@example.com or call Bonny 0405 442 025 or Paul 0405 442 026