Originally called Green Hills, the area was first established in 1791 because of its fertile river flats for agriculture. The area was known as the “breadbasket” and ensured the survival of the starving colony and was easily accessible by coastal shipping from Sydney along the Hawkesbury River. The town was officially proclaimed by Governor Lachlan Macquarie in 1810 and called Windsor.
This tour, led by expert Hawkesbury locals Graham Edds (Heritage Architect) and his wife Carol (Heritage Consultant) will visit: Francis Greenway’s St Matthew’s Anglican Church (foundation stone laid by Governor Macquarie in 1817) and graveyard; Windsor Museum, North Street Houses (1840s); the site of the original Government House; Thompson Square; and the historic Macquarie Arms Hotel (1815) the oldest hotel in Australia where we will have lunch.
- National Trust member: $70
- General admission adult: $75
- Tickets include coach, morning tea and lunch, drinks not included
- Bookings essential: Cheryl Bates email@example.com 0402 358 910
- Meet at Hambledon Cottage, 47 Hassall Street (corner Gregory Place), Harris Park
- Parking available on-site
- Requires moderate level of mobility, uneven surfaces. Not suitable for persons with mobility problems.