Botanicals: Insects and Critters gives young adventurers the chance to locate insects and critters within Experiment Farm Cottage’s Botanicals exhibition and explore the herb garden.
Photography by Katrina Dubé, copyright National Trust (NSW).
Bugs and critters are all around us, serve a purpose and have a place. Early European settlers encountered a whole new world of insects and other small animals in colonial Parramatta – in the outdoors, the indoors and the larder!
Exploring elements of the natural world became fashionable in the early 1800’s; gentlemen and ladies alike were curious about the world around them and the study of insects became a hobby for the socially-mobile and the young.
Botanicals: Insects and Critters, gives young adventurers the chance to locate insects within Experiment Farm Cottage’s Botanicals exhibition and learn a little about the early use of herbs and flowers for medicinal use.
Take a closer look and spot the insects and critters hidden amongst the ceramics, foliage and flowers.
Children from 5 to 12 years (with the help of a grown-up) will search the exhibition to spot the insects and critters hidden amongst the ceramics, foliage and flowers in the cottage before exploring the medicinal herb garden.
In the herb garden, families can learn more about early medicine as they walk among the herbs and flowers that commonly treated the early European settler’s injuries and sicknesses.Children (and adults) can take their learning further as they use their own technology to unlock further information and stories about the early European medical interventions and the science of 1800’s colonial Parramatta.
- Enquiries: Please contact the property via firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 9635 8149.
- Bookings will be made available via Eventbrite.
- Botanicals is running on the second and fourth weekend of the month from Saturday 28 August until Sunday 14 November, 2021 at Experiment Farm Cottage.
- Limited parking is available on site with additional parking on Alice Street and Ruse Street.
- We recommend this activity for children 5 years and over. Please allow 30 minutes for the activity. Normal admission applies. Children must be accompanied by an adult.