Many see Mount Stromlo as a place for science, but it was also a home to many people over the last 100 years.
Originally known as ‘Observatory House’, the Director’s Residence was completed in 1928 to accommodate the Director of Mount Stromlo and family. The building was designed by the Supervising Architect for the Federal Capital Territory, Henry Maitland Rolland, with substantial input from the founding Director Walter Geoffrey Duffield and his wife Doris. Seven Observatory Directors and several others lived in the Residence before it was severely damaged in the firestorm of January 2003.
The Director’s Residence was once the social heart of Mount Stromlo. The immaculate grounds with large trees, manicured lawns, a formal patio, and croquet lawn, hosted functions for visiting dignitaries, and other special events. Following the 2003 fires, most of the landscape features and plantings were destroyed.
The damaged residence has now been stabilised, and the garden restored.
As part of the Canberra and Region Heritage Festival (www.act.gov.au/heritagefestival), join ANU Heritage Adviser Amy Jarvis in a walk around the Observatory, as well as to the Residence and its restored gardens and orchard.
Cost: $15 includes light refreshments