A Silver Lining
In 1882 Frank Long discovered the first lode of silver lead (galena) near Mount Zeehan.
This discovery created an immense interest in the region resulting in a mining boom and the establishment of the township of Zeehan. By 1900 it had become the third largest town in Tasmania, with a population of 10,000 people, and was known as the ‘silver city’. The Heritage Centre museum holds a comprehensive record of west coast mining history, providing an insight into the cultural heritage of the region and the resilience and resourcefulness of the early pioneers.