The Bass and Flinders Centre
The Bass and Flinders Centre is a museum of beautiful wooden boats.
The Bass and Flinders Centre is centrally located in George Town on Tasmania’s Tamar River. In 1798, the explorers Bass and Flinders were dispatched to ‘Van Diemen’s Land’ to ascertain if Tasmania was an island or not. They sailed with a crew of eight in Her Majesty’s Colonial Sloop Norfolk right into the Tamar River and anchored off what is now George Town. The Centre is the proud home of the full size working replica of the sloop ‘Norfolk’.