Store to store: a walk down Church Street, Brighton
Now the domain of fashion stores and restaurants, Church Street Brighton from the 1850s presented quite a different front including the former Prince George Theatre and the site of MacPherson and Lawrie's early hardware and decorators' store and livery stables.
The township of Brighton was established in 1841 as part of Henry Dendy’s Special Survey. The earliest shops appeared in Church Street in the mid 1850s and reflected trades of the time. This guided walk will take us along the main shopping area of Middle Brighton as we learn the history of that early township.