Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens – Historic Walls
The Gardens are bordered on two sides by magnificent convict built heritage walls. Governor Arthur commissioned the brick and sandstone heated Arthur Wall in 1829 to protect frost-tender plants and aid the ripening of fruit. It was soon apparent heating was not needed in Tasmania’s climate but the wall, with its door on the southern end, acted as the entrance to the gardens for visitors until the main gates were erected in 1878. The convict brick Eardley Wilmot Wall was constructed during the tenure of Governor Eardley Wilmot between 1843 and 1846 and runs for 280m, to what originally was the shoreline.