Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens – 200 Years 2018
The Royal Botanical Gardens will celebrate its 200th anniversary in 2018 making it one of the earliest continuously running heritage sites in Tasmania. This history is apparent in the many heritage structures and the mature trees that act as a backbone to more recent plantings. Early buildings and structures include the Superintendent’s Cottage of 1829, once divided to house convicts on one side and the superintendent on the other and the Original Overseer’s cottage built in 1845. Many of the mature trees are conifers are conifers with the Pinetum established above the Lily Pond in 1862 and the trees along the Arthur Wall planted as an avenue to the decorative cast iron main gates that were erected in 1878.