Rookwood Cemetery Tour with Morning Tea
Guided tour of Rookwood Cemetery, including its most historic and captivating areas.
Visiting a cemetery as a leisure activity may seem a little bizarre, but Rookwood is remarkable for many reasons.
There is an estimated one million people buried or interred at Rookwood since 1868, and each one has a story to tell.
This fascinating tour:
- Starts in the chapel with 3 short videos (Rookwood’s Creation, The Railway, Rookwood’s World War 1 and unmarked graves)
- We then visit “American Stores” and its role in the Second World War. From here we go to the footings of Mortuary 1 Receiving House (Rookwood’s Birthplace) and see how the various trusts ran the cemetery.
- On to the Vault of John Fraser (largest in the Southern hemisphere) to which we now have access.
- Martyrs Memorial, Serpentine Canal & its role in the cemetery.
- The Circle of Love: a beautiful area that honours children buried in unmarked graves and the story of how it was discovered.
- The Church of St Athanasios and its role in Rookwood