Parkerville Heritage Pub Walk (Self Guided)
Take a heritage walk around historic Parkerville, gazetted in 1895. The walk is approximately 2.5km, starting and finishing at the heritage listed, 121 year old Parkerville Tavern.
This walk takes in the Parkerville Tavern (1902), the site of the former Railway Station, the old School (1899), the Hall (1922), the Quarries (1895), original working men’s cottages, the General Store (1901), and back to the Parkerville Tavern (car parking area).
Parkerville was first gazetted in 1895, as the new Eastern Railway extension (the incorrectly named ‘Mahogany Creek deviation’) was being built. The original railway line through Darlington and Smiths Mill (Glen Forrest) to Mundaring had steeper grades which limited the load capacities.
The government released large lots of land from 1895 but these did not sell well, so were re-surveyed into smaller lots and released from 1900 onward. These were taken up and soon the township had a pub, two stores, a school and, of course, the railway station which offered the only other form of transport available unless residents had a horse and cart. (Adapted from author Rob Borsje).
Enjoy the heritage walk followed by a pub meal.