Life at the Lazaret on Peel Island
Read the stories of staff and patients and view photographs, artieacts and memorabilia relating to Peel Island's history.
Peel Island is situated in Moreton Bay, approximately 4 kms from Cleveland, and was, for years, a Quarantine Station for passengers and crew of arriving ships suspected of carrying contagious diseases. In 1907, Peel Island was established as a place to contain people who had Hansen’s Disease (Leprosy). Conditions for patients were often less than satisfactory.
Based on FOPIA’s Exhibition entitled “going to the gums”, the permanent exhibition, situated within the grounds of Fort Lytton NP, provides access to stories of staff and patients and includes photographs, artifacts and memorabilia relating to Peel Island’s history. Fort Lytton National Park, also offers historical displays, buildings and events. Open every Sunday.