170 Years of worship in Heywood and District
Visitors to St John's will be able to view a range of Heritage items from local Churches, past and present. These include items from St Mary's Lake Condah Mission and centers such as Dartmoor, and Spring Creek. Many of these items are connected to families with long standing ties to the district.
St Johns has been a part of the local community for 170 years and within its walls are examples of the changes which have occurred during this time, memories of the local community members and memorabilia from the Church centers which have closed due to the changing fortunes of local townships. Of particular interest is the Honour Roll from St Mary’s Lake Condah, a Church much loved by the Aboriginal community and forcibly closed by the government in 1957. The orginal Communion Rails and Altar from St Mary’s are also housed in St John’s emphasising the close connection between the two.
Other items on display in the Church include the Altar from St George’s Dartmoor and the Hymn Board from St Aiden’s Greenwald. Many ornate brass items have come from other centers after being donated by local families.
A number of local Church History publications will be available for viewing and purchase and local members will be happy to discuss any aspect of the Church with visitors.