Como House & Garden
The early days of heritage protection
During the post-war boom period, Victoria experienced significant losses of historic places and public open space. This spurred the creation of the Victorian branch of the National Trust, and in 1956 Como House and Garden became the first National Trust property, protecting it from the development threats that led to the loss of many similar places. To this day it remains open to the public, with free access to the remarkable gardens.