The 80 Collins Street address for Nauru House was created by demolishing two Regency style townhouses, part of a terrace built in 1855.
In the 1950s they had housed exclusive boutiques, clothiers and photographers. 82 Collins Street was demolished in 1960 for the modernist Palmer House. 78 Collins Street went in 1976, with Ogg’s Chemist at 76 Collins Street also demolished, but not without protest. Le Louvre, established at 74 Collins Street as an exclusive Parisian boutique, was a key site of the preservation battle. The owners, Lillian and Georgiana Wightman, were active and significant advocates for the heritage precinct and refused to sell to Nauru Phosphate Royalties Trust, thereby impeding complete destruction of the Collins Street façades. The rude ‘gap’ in Collins Street has remained ever since, but is now proposed to be infilled with an office tower as tall as Nauru House itself.
Click here for Classification Details of Le Louvre
Click here for Classification Details of Ogg & Co