61 Spring Street (also known as 7 Collins Street), was recognised as the keystone of the ‘Paris end’
of Collins Street.
In 1876 the western garden of Dr Howitt’s residence, on the corner of Collins and
Spring Streets, was sold to William Campbell, a noted pastoralist and politician. The impressive two storey brick and stucco house was built for him the following year. In 1901 the house was sold to the Commonwealth Government and used for Federal and, later, State Government Offices.